Saturday, May 7, 2011

A busy yet surprisingly productive week.

So it's been about 5 days since my last blog update. I should really try to keep this blog updated but this has been a really busy week. done overtime a couple of nights this week with Age of conan pushing new dungeons and faction revamps to live.

Also I have a new blog yay. figured I would split up the level design one and the animation one :)

Either way I have still managed to stay surprisingly constructive. I have been watching animation lectures on the basics of timing and spacing and giving characters weight. As well as workflow.
I'm feeling a lot more confident about planning out my animations now instead of just rushing into them which is what I used to do and would generally result in a giant mess.

I've also been slowly reading through Ed Hooks - Acting for animators, I've had this book for years but havent properly ever read it through. It's an amazing book and I would really recommend it to anyone who is into character animation. It has really gotten me thinking in a brand new way when it comes to what my characters are doing on screen and why they are doing it.

I'll summarize a few of the main things ive taken from the book so far.

1. ) Always remember what your character is coming from, what was your character doing before the scene what will he be doing afterwards.
2. ) There are 3 kinds of conflict, conflict with self, with situation and with other characters. Those are your obstacles.
3. ) A scene is a negotiation of conflict.
4. ) Be wary of overacting. 

I also bought a sketch book and a small notebook and have been trying to get some basic drawing done and taking notes of ideas whenever I can. My drawing is still pretty bad at the moment and I hope to slowly work on it on the side and get it up to a semi decent level where I can atleast do poses and concept out ideas.

Free Rigs for Maya and Max 
 I found a site called www.creativecrash.com that is amazing it has a treasure trove of free rigged ready to animate characters for 3d studio max and maya  (I really need to learn animation in maya some time soon )



Plans for this weekend
This weekend my plan is to continue on with my basics and focus on timing and spacing, what better to do that with than the good ol bouncing balls. 


I found this awesome free rig setup that includes a bunch of pre-rigged balls and models of different types from bowling balls to basketballs
http://www.creativecrash.com/3dsmax/downloads/character-rigs/c/simple-ball-rig-v--2

My plan is to spend atleast 15 or so hrs this weekend getting some ball animation done. as I didnt get a lot of actual animating done during last week as was too busy reading up on theory and watching lectures :P



No comments:

Post a Comment